Friday, November 7, 2008

A Little Late

I know Halloween has been over for a week already but I thought I'd post these anyway. Somewhere there's at least one grandma silently complaining about how terrible I am at sending people pictures!


The kids had a fun Halloween. What kid doesn't love candy? Dallin was, once again, terrified by anyone whose face he couldn't see and many of the decorations at the houses we went to (we skipped the really elaborately decorated homes), but the trauma was short-lived once we got home and he could dig through his stash of treats. Sterling was outraged that I didn't let him carry a pumpkin and get his own candy, but our neighbors gave him a lollipop and he was pretty happy after that. As we walked around Audrey held up her glow stick to everything she thought was spooky and apparently that helped her to be brave.



Audrey dressed as Snow White, Dallin was a football player (his "uniform" had pants that he refused to wear trick-or-treating), and Sterling was some member of the cat family. (I think he was a leopard, but Audrey disagreed. She alternated between cheetah and jaguar.)


Audrey and Dallin had just as much, if not more, fun after we got home and they got to pass out the candy to the people who came to our door. They raced for the door every time someone knocked and then ran around the front room in between. (Couldn't have had anything to do with their sugar intake that day, right?) Audrey was faster at doling out the candy but Dallin always wanted a turn too. A few times I had to ask the kids to come back so he could give out some candy. I'm guessing they didn't mind coming back for more!



The kids were excited to pick out pumpkins for carving and they chose what designs we did (come to think of it, the designs were rather appropriate for their costumes - purely by chance), but when it came time to do the work? Yeah. They played outside. When do kids start liking to stick their hands in the mess?





It's sort of a tradition in my family to carve something other than the typical triangle eyes, etc. I know these don't compare in difficulty to Mom, Dad, and Rick's Mad-Eye Moody and Harry Potter (see below), but if I have to do all the work again next year, I might just have to insist on something simpler!

10 comments:

George and Joanna said...

Great job on the pumpkins! The kids are SOOO cute! Sounds like they had a good time. If you're like me, you are anxious for all the candy to be gone so you can get your normal kids back!

Debby said...

We think you did a brilliant job on the patterns. Rick wants those patterns! I am glad to see pictures and promise I wasn't complaining about not seeing the pictures earlier. Rick wants to know if he can get the countdown widget for his computer at work? :)

Amy Snell said...

you guys have amazing pumpkin carving skills :):) the kids looked super cute all dressed up...

Sarah said...

Cute costumes! And impressive carving!

Heather said...

seriously..... how do you guys carve pumpkins like that? I didn't even do pumpkins here.

Ann Guevara said...

Holy cow those pumpkins look good. We thought we were kicking it up a notch this year by carving a bat! You guys are talented.
Ann

Natalie said...

Love your pumpkins! Looks like you had a fun Halloween. I too am counting down to the Twilight movie. My friend and I already bought tickets online for opening night. We are glad we did, because some showtimes were already sold-out and the one we were able to get seats was almost full. I guess a lot of people are Twilight crazy!

Gabe & Emily said...

Em is hot on the countdown too - her brother managed to get a bunch of tickets for an early premiere. I'll be here with the crew while she gets a well deserved night out with the ladies.
Love the pumpkin and costume pictures and especially that you have banjo boy in your playlist!
Love, GnE

The Hall's said...

The kids look great Carly! I love Dallin's costume. Where did you find that? It's great. Glad the kids had a good time.

You should have done a Prop 8 pumpkin....unless you were afraid it would be smashed all over your house! :) Again, thanks for all of your hard work in that area.

Jamie and Family said...

Wow, those pumpkins are amazing!!!!!