Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grocery store fun

Melvin had just left for work this afternoon and I was about to put Sterling down for his nap when I realized that we didn't have anything for Audrey to take to preschool for snack tomorrow. I debated about my options, which were really only two: I could go right away because Sterling wasn't cranky, or I could go after he woke up when it would be dinnertime, bathtime, and bedtime. Not too difficult to choose. We loaded in the van and took off.

It was NOT fun. Sterling was fine. But Audrey threw a tantrum because we forgot her "scrapbook" (a little notebook she likes to carry around in her purse), wouldn't keep up, hung on the cart while dragging her feet, etc., etc. Then Dallin decided he needed to go potty. So the four of us trooped off to the bathroom. An adventure all by itself with helping Dallin, keeping Sterling out of the stalls, making sure everyone got their hands washed...

Then there were more tears at the checkout line because no one got to push the buttons on the credit card machine (the man in front of us had left his cart there and we had to go around it so the kids couldn't reach the machine) and we had so few items that I had everything bagged before Audrey and Dallin could help. I won't mention the ridiculous amount of time that it took for us to get those few items.

But as I was bagging our items, I heard the elderly man who had been in front of me say something to his wife about not wanting to go back and get some cat food. She got upset and said, "Fine. Forget the cat food and let the cat die." She stomped away and stood near the door with her arms folded angrily across her chest and her back to her husband.

I guess going to the grocery store without small children doesn't necessarily guarantee a good experience, either.

9 comments:

The Hall's said...

Sounds like the rest of your day was just as exciting! Oh the joys of grocery shopping. Apparently I will always hate it....even when I'm seventy. I didn't know that elderly couples pout like that! Too funny. Thanks for chatting today!

Sarah said...

Wow, what an experience! I like to go alone to the grocery store, that's for sure. Cory's like a kid, only without the tears. He shuffles slowly around, looking at everything and asking if we can buy that. It's freakin' funny, but it takes foooooreeveerrr! I guess I'd rather take him rather than 3 small children ;)

Ruth said...

You need more hands. Isn't it funny how the one you are worried about does fine and the other one ends up acting up?

Anonymous said...

Heehee..I felt tired for you just reading about your ordeal! When will they start drive-thru grocery stores? (With a five item limit, of course...I mean, let's be realistic about this:)

Annalisa and Jacob said...

I can SOOOOO totally sympathize! It seriously makes you question just how worth it that trip to the store really is! It does make me feel better to hear that old ladies throw tantrums just as good as a little kid!

Natalie said...

=) Hillarious! (I do feel bad for you though Carly!)

Beth said...

auh yes. Been there. It usually takes a few days to recover before going anywhere again with the gang. Sometimes I lose my mind and take all four kids, then I'm quickly reminded why that isn't a good idea. Stores bring out the best in kids for some reason.

K Western said...

Very cute story! Grocery store shopping, or any kind of shopping, is always an adventure. I'm always amazed at how long it takes to get a few simple things.

The Hall Clan said...

so funny,,,yet sad. makes me feel better about my wal-mart experiences. I used to HATE the candy they had at the checkout lines. my boys are good about not even asking for treats, but if there is a meltdown for some other reason,,,,the $1 cup of mini oreos ALWAYS does the trick