Last month Melvin had to go on a business trip and he asked me if I would like to come along. I jumped at the chance. I love to go new places and this was somewhere neither of us had ever been, not to mention a place that I had always wanted to visit. Plus, to go somewhere without children for a while...that was an opportunity I could not in my right mind let pass. (Not that I don't love my children; I do. But other than a less than 24-hour period when I was pregnant with Sterling, Melvin and I hadn't spent any extended amount of time together (as in, say, longer than a temple session and the 1-hour drive there and back) without all of our children since before we had any. Needless-to-say, it was long overdue.)
Melvin doesn't travel for work very often and when he does, it's usually to the San Francisco area or somewhere like that. Someplace where I'm not too bummed if I can't go along. This time he was sent to Ireland. No WAY was I staying home!
We arrived in Dublin on a Sunday morning and after a horrendous hour or so of trying to figure out the GPS thingy (which was not working) in the tiny rental car, trying to remember which side of the extremely narrow road to drive on, attempting to read the signs on the roundabouts, and being somewhat lost for a while, Melvin was about ready to jump on the next flight back to the States. We found our way back to the rental car place where they fixed the GPS and got us going again. It was much easier with that thing working and we made it to church in time for sacrament meeting. Once there we felt much better and decided to continue our trip. :)
One of a series of valuable paintings (over 100 years old) depicting the life of Christ set into ceiling panels at Rathfarnham Castle
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were spent in Clonmel. Melvin worked all day while I wandered around town by myself, in and out of shops, museums, the public library (I couldn't resist seeing what sorts of titles they had on their shelves), and old churches. I was a history major in college, so I was really in my element.
Part of the old wall built around Clonmel that helped defend the city for a while when Oliver Cromwell came calling
This is getting pretty long. Stay tuned for the second half of our Ireland trip!
8 comments:
Thanks for posting. TOO COOL!! Great photos, Carly. I am so glad you got to go there.
WOW!!! I wouldn't have stayed home either!!! I too would love to go there someday, for now I will just smile and dream as I read your next post. :)
Thanks for the pictures. I'm so glad you guys got away and that you enjoyed your "holiday".
Too funny....most of my mental images of Ireland come from "The Quiet Man" too. Think we were raised by the same father? :)
Well, how about the same mother? Your Dad likes that one ok, but it's my favorite! :)
Wow. I'm so jealous. That's fantastic you got to go along with Mel. Looks like soooo much fun. I'm looking forward to the next post!
Carly, I am so glad you posted. It looks gorgeous and I'm sure you loved being able to visit all those places. When I think of Ireland I think of P.S. I Love You. I know you probably weren't looking but did they have any beautiful men there like Gerard Butler? :)
You lucky, lucky woman!! What a fun experience! I can't wait to see more pictures!
I'm so glad you got to go!!! It looks amazing!
Post a Comment