BIRTHDAYS
The finished products. We also made a cake decorated the same way but the cupcakes were cuter.
The birthday girl enjoying her treat.
Checking out her new book bag and books from Grandma and Grandpa Alaska. Grandma and Grandpa Beach gave her a little dolly that she loves to carry around and kiss. And no, we don't let our kids play with prescription medications. We fill old pill bottles with water to make little ice packs for the kids when they have boo-boos. At this point I have no recollection as to why Maren was holding it then.
Some tidbits about the littlest member of our household:
- Maren is such a sweet girl (although she is beginning to throw some pretty good tantrums when she doesn't get her way). We love her bright smile.
- She is nearly always happy to see her siblings and they do a great job of playing with and taking care of her. They still love her like crazy.
- Early on Sterling started calling her "Maren Baby" and that has stuck; we all call her that quite often.
- I think her plump little cheeks, arms, and legs are adorable. I remember being slightly offended when people would say that Dallin was a little on the chubby side. Maybe I've mellowed some or whatever, but it doesn't bother me a bit when people say that about Maren. In fact, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something great. I have this happy healthy baby whose every inch is delightfully kissable. :)
- She still only has 6 teeth, which frustrates me when I try to blame her crankiness on teething but never have anything to show for it.
- Maren literally runs to Melvin, giggling the whole way, when he gets home from work.
- She was really mad at me when we got back from our trip. She turned away from me when I tried to say hi to her, went to Melvin (which she didn't often do then) and gave him a big hug and kiss, and wouldn't let me touch her for nearly two hours! This girl can hold a grudge!
- Her newest trick is climbing up on the chairs and subsequently on top of the tables, messing up puzzles, games, pictures, and homework constantly. Nothing is safe anymore.
- She has the longest eyelashes I've ever seen on a little girl. Longer than even those of most little boys, and everyone knows they luck out in the eyelash department!
Anyway, we love our little Maren Baby and are so happy to have her in our home.
Dallin's 5th
Dallin turned 5 on January 2nd. He wanted to help make and decorate his cake, so it ended up being sort of thrown together at the last minute and was a group effort, with almost everyone putting some touch on the cake. Dallin requested to have a "Laser Starfish" cake, which I honestly had no idea how to do. The result wasn't as nice as I like to have for birthday cakes, but Dallin was happy with it. That's all that matters, right?
Grandma and Grandpa Beach came over for his birthday dinner (homemade pizza at Dallin's request) and brought him a toy gun that shoots missiles that light up. He loves it!
He had some friends come over the next day for his first "friend birthday party." Dallin was so excited to have them all here. One of the girls who came to the party has a couple of older brothers who asked if they could come practice some of their magic tricks for the kids. Who can say no to free magicians? They did a great job and it was fun to have them here.
And now for some particulars about Dallin:
- He is often called "D-Man" (which Duane has amended to demon. Thanks, Duane!) or just "D". In fact, Sterling almost never calls Dallin by his real name. He has to really think about it to do it.
- Dallin loves to play computer games. He will sit here all day if I let him.
- He still has one of the best laughs I have ever heard. Just hearing him laugh brings a smile to anyone nearby.
- Dallin is almost perpetually happy. He is very easy to please and extremely cooperative. When he is asked to do something, even if it's not something he wants to do, his typical answer is "okay", and off he goes to do it.
- He loves to learn and is doing really great in preschool. (His teacher is awesome, so that helps, too. No, I'm not his teacher!) He's really excited to start kindergarten in the fall.
- He loves sports (when he's not playing the computer). Dallin had a great time playing soccer and is happy to be starting t-ball again.
- In general, he's not a hugger. He will give family members hugs, but they usually have to ask for them first. When kids at school or church come up and give him a hug, he just stands there with a pained look on his face like, "would you just hurry up and let me go!" But he never says anything or tries to get away.
- Dallin is very thoughtful. He worries about the feelings of others and is usually quick to share. You have to be careful what you say around him because he really takes things to heart. (For example, once I said aloud that the kids were driving me crazy and he got concerned about that.)
Dallin is such a great kid and we are so lucky to have him!
5 comments:
Kissable is the perfect way to describe Maren. I love that picture of her looking up. What a beautiful girl. Funny that her personality is already to obvious. Yes, Dallin has the happiest nature of any kid west of the Mississippi. You lucked out with that one!
Hooray for a new post! I loved the pictures of Maren and the little tidbits about each of them. I want to kiss them both! That sweet little Maren sure is a doll.
They are getting so big!! I can't wait for this summer to get to play and get to know them all. Bye the way, one of your magicians looks an whole lot like Harry Potter!
It's fun to hear about the kiddos. I forget that Dallin and Spencer are so close in age.
Maren does have amazing eyelashes---good for her,,they are normally wasted on the boys.
What a fun post! They are adorable!
Post a Comment