Friday, January 13, 2012

Maren's Birthday

Maren turned 2 this year. (Well, last year. November.) I can't believe how big she is getting. And I'm happy to report that she has finally got past the constant sullen, pouty face stage that she was in for so long. (She still wears that look from time to time, but at least it's no longer permanent.)

We made cupcake cones for her birthday. It was a disaster. They kept falling over and frosting was everywhere, but they tasted fine and the kids had fun. If we ever do it again, I'll have to find a better method.







Maren got a doll stroller for her birthday, along with a baby doll that she can take in the bath and a pillow pet (every child in this house desperately wants one). She was a happy girl.




Some things about Maren at age 2:



  • She still carries around and sleeps with Audrey's shirt (did I ever mention that? Sometime around the 10-month mark, Maren crawled into Audrey's room and swiped a polka-dotted shirt out of Audrey's drawer. It became her security blanket and she has never given it back.)



  • She is teaching herself to use the potty. She's not ready to be totally potty-trained but I feel like I'm ahead of the game with her in that regard.


  • Maren loves her siblings and is always happy when they include her in their activities.


  • She plays by herself really well. And usually doesn't get into too much trouble. Unless she's in the bathroom, squeezing out the entire tube of toothpaste into the sink.


  • When you ask her a question to which the answer is yes, she says "Uh-huh" or "Mm-hmm." It makes me smile every time, it's so cute.


  • Thanks to her older siblings, she says things that none of my other 2-year-olds have ever said. Like "Goodbye underpants!" or "meanie-head!"


  • She can't say words that start with "s" and always puts her pronouns in the wrong spot. So when she wants her shirt she'll say "Where hirt-y me?"


  • Whenever we pass Melvin's workplace she shouts, "Helloooo Daddy!"


  • She still has the longest eyelashes I've ever seen that weren't stick-on.


  • Her smile can light up the room.




Melvin has said a couple of times to me, "I bet you were just like Maren at that age." Which I interpret to mean "really stinking cute yet totally exasperating." We love you, Maren!



1 comment:

Ruth said...

beautiful girl, just like her mommy!