Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hanging out with Ms. Frostine & Jolly

We bought a few classic board games for kids a while back and have been slowly introducing them to our kids. Last week Audrey spotted Chutes & Ladders and Candy Land at the top of her closet, so we pulled out one last week and then the other today. We had a lot of fun playing those games. Audrey took to Candy Land like a fish to water. She really did great and only got a little upset when I won game #2. Chutes & Ladders was a little harder but only because Audrey gets carried away with counting her spaces. She just wants to keep going.

It's fun to see her learning so much so quickly. Recently she has also become pretty skilled at putting together puzzles. Most of the ones she puts together are on children's websites such as www.pbskids.org. But we've got one here at home that is a map of the United States with the pieces in the shapes of individual states. After only a couple of tries, Audrey was able to put the entire thing together by herself. And remember the names of quite a few of the states. "Arizona - that's where Grandma Hall lives." I guess I should be used to it by now, but I'm always amazed at how quickly she picks up a new skill or grasps a concept. It concerns me a little at how we (her future school teachers and I) are going to keep her focused and interested in school. But I can worry about that next year. For now, I'll just enjoy our trips through the forest to visit King Kandy.

4 comments:

The Hall's said...

She is definitely one smart cookie. How does Dallin handle the games? I'm anxious to start playing them with Rebekah.

Melvin and Carly said...

Dallin mostly just takes the game pieces and runs away with them, making Audrey shriek. Or dumps out the buckets of cherries in Heigh-Ho Cherry-O, again making Audrey shriek. Fun.

The six of us! said...

I love playing those games with my kids, although now that they have gotten older RISK seems to be more interesting,so Kevin has taken over that dept. At least I still have Emily : ).

Ruth said...

What a bright girl!