Thursday, June 3, 2010

Exactly How I Feel Sometimes


This has got to stop! The unscheduled hiatus from the blogging world has gone on long enough. I was thinking about posting some highlights of what has gone on here over the past few months, and I still will, but Audrey gave me some great material today.

This afternoon Audrey decided that she wanted to make some fruit salad to go with our dinner tonight. I couldn't help her at the exact time she wanted to do it, so she decided to do it herself. She did a great job and even went the extra steps of chopping (with a butter knife, lest you think I am totally irresponsible and let my 6-year-old wield a kitchen knife unsupervised) the already bite-sized mandarin oranges, grapes, and canned pineapple. Sterling wanted to help at some point, so Audrey let him put the cut-up fruit into the bowl.

Here she is, cheerfully washing her dishes after making her salad.



Afterward, I told "Chef Audrey" that she did a good job and she said that she wants to be a chef when she grows up. A few weeks ago she said that she wanted to be an artist, so I asked her about that. She said that she wants to be a chef and an artist and a teacher. "Anything else?" I asked. "And a mom." was her answer. Since I'm currently reading a ridiculous book about a woman who becomes a housekeeper after losing her job as a corporate lawyer, I asked if Audrey would like to be a maid. "What's that?" she asked. "It's someone who cleans the house, does the chores, stuff like that," I said.

Her reply was immediate and certain, with a tone that suggested I was just slightly losing my mind.

"That's a MOM!"

Of course it is! How could I forget?

6 comments:

The Hall's said...

You're back!!!!! And, may I add, with good material! What a funny story. By the way, I think I feel like a maid more than some of the time!

I LOVE Audrey's haircut. She looks so cute. More proof that we are sisters and think the same - Rebekah got the same haircut yesterday!

Debby said...

I love the things my grandchildren say!! I am glad you are writing them down and that their sayings will be there for everyone to laugh at later on. I have a wonderful list of stuff that makes me laugh each time I think of them! Glad you are back too! Thanks for the photos!

Natalie said...

I love it! Cute new pics of the kids too. Maren is adorable!

Ruth said...

very funny. It's great to see an update again! cute kiddos

George and Joanna said...

Hilarious! How true!! Somehow, thankfully, we all survive.

Gabe & Emily said...

I love it.....and all those moms WISH they had a maid so they could play with their kids more :-)