I meant to post this a week or so ago, but you all know by now how quick I get around to things.
We are proud BYU fans here in this house. Our dirty little secret is that Dallin has declared himself a Utah fan. Due to not having television other than what shows up from our antenna, we have not had much of a chance to expose him to better options. We watch or listen to most of BYU's athletic events online - it's hard to keep a 5-year-old's attention when the picture is small, sometimes fuzzy, and frequently freezes. Oh well.
However, we finally had a chance a couple of weeks ago. The much-anticipated BYU vs San Diego State was televised on CBS, which is one of the few channels we can actually pick up. Dallin was tempted to cheer for San Diego State, mostly because of the color of their uniforms. Then he kept hearing the announcers talk about Jimmer Fredette and how he is one of the best players in the country right now. When Dallin heard that Jimmer plays for BYU, he decided to cheer for the Cougars. (Mostly our kids are serious fair-weather fans. They will cheer for whichever team is winning; if the game goes back and forth between teams, so do they. Dallin decided it would be a good idea to cheer for the team with the best player.) He cheered for the Cougars the whole game. It was the first time in nearly 2 years that the whole family was rooting for the same team. Kinda makes you get choked up, huh? The following Tuesday the Cougars played New Mexico and Dallin again cheered for BYU and Jimmer. (He went to bed before the game was over and we never told him the outcome. Thought it might be better that way.) I was beginning to think that Dallin's red days might be over. Then he and Sterling played a game of basketball where they each pretended to be Jimmer, with Sterling playing for BYU and Dallin playing for...Utah. Sigh. But he came around again on Saturday and cheered when the Cougars beat Wyoming.
So, there's hope for our little fan. I'm not sure what will happen once the tournament season is over and there's no more Jimmer to ensure Dallin's loyalty. Guess we'll see. But, thanks to Jimmer, a family of sports fans was united, at least for three games.
7 comments:
That's so funny. I can't believe he still is a Utah fan.... oh well, Jimmer has definitely been a talking point this year. You should bet on You Tube and see some of the stuff on there. Did I tell you about the "group" song about Jimmer with Lavelle Edwards and Shawn Bradley "singing". I am not sure who sings worse...them or me!! :)
Hilarious. Jimmer fever is all over Utah. I'm a big Aggie fan, but I cheer on fellow Utah teams, like the Utes and Cougars. I was happy they got so high in the rankings... then bummed when they LOST to NM. Sigh. It's probably good you didn't tell Dallin the end of that game :)
so cute Carly! You'll have to check out the following links with the cute basketball stars at your place.
http://www.ldsliving.com/story/63803-jimmer-fredettes-spiritual-side
http://ldsliving.com/story/63712-the-jimmer-fredette-story
Cute post! ;)
I love that you have your kids watching the sports games. And Jimmer will be proud to know that he's helping convert a Utah fan! :)
hey, whatever works with these kids. cameron likes to find our random things about the teams playing, and then decide if they are worthy of his cheers.
OR
if he's being a stinker, he will ask what team Chad or I am rooting for and say he wants the opposite team to win.
That is great! So funny how their little minds work!!
Post a Comment