Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Seven!

Audrey's "golden birthday" (you know, when your age and your birth date are the same number - she turned 7 on the 7th) was last Saturday. We didn't really have a party since we did one last year, but I told her she could invite a couple of friends over for cake and ice cream. Audrey made things easy for me this year, deciding to have a double heart-shaped cake with Rainbow Chip frosting. We stuck M&Ms to the edges and put some sprinkles on. The pan only uses part of the cake mix, so I made mini-cupcakes with the rest of the batter and Sterling and Audrey helped frost and decorate them.













Audrey got everything on her birthday list, which was pretty simple: gum, chocolate bars, Starbursts, barrettes, slippers, and inline skates. Both sets of grandparents came through with the best birthday presents: a "colossal" art set and a learn-to-draw book. Audrey loves art and she has spent many hours already with these.








Audrey is my challenging child but she can be so much fun too. She loves to read (that's my girl!) and we spend some time every night reading a chapter or two. She has become a great helper with Maren (she even tried to change a diaper on her own a couple weeks ago! I was getting other kids ready for the day and Audrey noticed Maren was smelly. She gave it a good go and then called, "Mom? Can you help me? I'm trying to change Maren's diaper and I'm having some trouble!") and gave me an early Mother's Day present by folding the two loads of laundry piled on my bed without being asked. She has a bright smile and the whole family is happy when she is happy. Audrey is also becoming more considerate of others. I have heard her tell her brothers recently that she really liked the pictures they drew or that they did a good job with something. She is pretty good at math - gets that from her dad - and she loves to share what she knows and is quick to answer questions at school or in Primary. A couple of weeks ago she had her Book of Mormon in her backpack and during a sort of sharing time at school read a couple of her favorite scriptures to her first grade class. She read 1 Nephi 32:3 (Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost...) and another one (I forget what the other was) and told them her favorite part is 3 Nephi 11 where Jesus Christ visits the people. What a good missionary! We love you Audrey!

4 comments:

Debby said...

I love you Audrey! Thanks for the note and I am glad you liked your art book. I am looking forward to seeing you in September!

Debby said...

Great cake Carly and cute cupcakes. One of the pictures I found on the slides had a picture of you with that same "cake". I think it was when you turned 8.

Kylie said...

Wow Audrey has really grown up!

Ruth said...

wonderful girl and darling cake. good job Carly.