One of my two favorite weekends of the year just went by. I love General Conference weekend. (If you don't know about General Conference, if you missed it, or if you just want to hear it again, click here or watch Saturday's and Sunday's feed here.) It is always so revitalizing. And there is always at least one, and usually more, message that seems to be directed right at me. This time there was a whole session, plus a few more messages from other sessions. I suppose that means I have a lot to work on, which comes as no surprise to anyone.
The words of the prophet and the other general leaders of the Church are always so timely. President Monson's message on Sunday morning was one of those that spoke to me. (Shannon beat me to it again. Darn that younger sister of mine!) I had to laugh a little during his message. At the exact moment that President Monson admonished us to make the most of today, provide pleasant memories for the future, and not worry about the fingerprints, mess, and laundry, Audrey was instructing Dallin on how to nurse a toy baby in our toy-strewn room. "Audrey," Melvin said, "only girls can feed babies like that." "Oh, we're just pretending Dallin's a girl." These are among the moments that we will miss someday, when our children engage in imaginary play together. So we followed Elder Wirthlin's advice from Saturday afternoon and laughed about it. (That was another talk that spoke to me.)
This is what is on my agenda right now: try to make the most of today, and to try to laugh instead of groan. I'm grateful for inspired leaders and their counsel that can, if heeded, lift me to the higher and safer ground on which they stand.
2 comments:
Awesome post! I agree, conference is wonderful! Cute story about your kids - way to follow the advice of a Prophet :)
I agree...conference is the best. Sorry that I beat you to your post again! I'm glad to see that you're still posting your thoughts anyway! I loved reading this post and I love you! By the way, I don't know what it is about Conference weekend...but I always end up missing you terribly. I guess because we always used to have girls night during Priesthood.
Post a Comment