
I've just been given a new assignment at church as the Primary Chorister. I think it will be fun and I'm excited. I have a tough act to follow; the previous chorister (whose family moved away at the end of this past year) did a fabulous job, and the substitute choristers since have also been wonderful.
Now, I'm pretty good with music. You may not want to hear me sing, but you probably will anyway because I do it all the time, everywhere. I know most of the Primary/Church songs and if it plays on country radio, you can bet I know all of the words, not to mention many of the songs on the other stations too, with a few complete genre exceptions (read rap and heavy metal). If I were ever to be a contestant on Don't Forget the Lyrics, I think I could earn us a pretty penny. (But it would be pretty boring to watch, since I don't really get into it like some people and I am clearly not a "performer".) Anyway, I think I'll do pretty good with the lyrics portion.
But what about the rest of it? I have no idea whatsoever how to teach music to kids beyond sheer repetition. So any help that any of you could give would be appreciated. Have you had the calling and do you have any pointers for me? Is there something that your chorister does that really works (or doesn't work)? Games, activities, whatever - anything that can help keep the attention of kids age 3-11 and can get them involved. I know there are some very musically-gifted people who occasionally check out this blog - I know you know I'm talking about you. Your suggestions would be so helpful.
This coming Sunday is my first day. Keep your fingers crossed!
8 comments:
You'll be so good! I remember when you sang the solo part in the one of Harmony songs! There was NO WAY I would do that! I've never been primary chorister but I do remember reading about a yahoo group that offers suggestions and support for primary choristers. Plus, there are lots of different ideas on the different primary websites (like sugardoodle.net). Good luck!!
You are a beautiful singer! So don't say no one wants to hear you sing. You will do a great job in that calling. Best of Luck to you!
This is such a great calling for you! I'm sure you'll do great. We have an incredible chorister here that puts many of her ideas on a blog she set up for just singing time. She has since made it private...I'll try to get you an invite.
I can't think of anyone better for the calling. You have great voice and will do great with the primary children.
Congrats! You will be great! Best advice I can think of is just make sure the kids are involved. Some things I have seen here are the chorister letting kids hold up pictures to help learn the words, having soft and loud signs the kids get to control, picking favorite songs, etc. I have NO DOUBT you will be awesome!!!
Hey all. I really wasn't fishing for a compliment on my singing (though I HAVE been known to do that before), but thanks for the love! And thanks for all of your suggestions and ideas. I really appreciate it!
Congrats. I am very excited for you. The kids will love you ☺ I'm sure yours will be happy you are in there.
I LOVE this website for all sorts of fun help...
www.sugardoodle.net It's the best at ideas and fun!! You will be amazing!!
Post a Comment