For this past Christmas, Audrey and Dallin both received new bikes. (Well, new to them. $15 for both bikes at the same garage sale when they weren't even for sale! I'm telling you, I've got skills!) They both love their bikes, Dallin especially. He asks to go ride bikes several times a day, every day. So cute. He's really good at it too, and quite the daredevil. He likes to stand up and coast, zoom down the driveway while standing, and he has even tried to stand on his seat. Crazy kid. Dallin has so much fun riding his bike every day. Best $5 I've ever spent!
We took the training wheels off of Audrey's smaller bike, put them on Dallin's (poor kid has girly training wheels - the other training wheels didn't fit), and then put the other training wheels on Audrey's "new" bigger bike. It took some finagling on Melvin's part to get the training wheels to fit right on either bike. It turns out that he needn't have spent quite so much time at it.
At the beginning of February, after riding her "big" bike for a while, Audrey decided that she wanted to practice riding her "little bike without training wheels." I did the whole holding-the-back-of-the-seat-while-running-behind-her thing for a couple of days (very tiring with such a small bike!) and that wasn't working so well. Audrey occasionally has difficulty listening to what I say. But she is extremely determined. She decided just to practice on her own (because I was frustrated and took a break), wobbling around on the street with her toes pushing the bike along and trying to put her feet on the pedals every now and then. Pretty soon she was managing to get two or three rotations of the pedals before having to steady herself by putting her feet back on the ground. Then, all of a sudden, there she went! On two wheels all by herself! Oh, the jubilation! You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Audrey wobbly rode her bike around our cul-de-sac singing "la la la la la la..." with sheer joy for her accomplishment. It was fun to watch.
Now she's an expert. (Still a little wobbly at times but really pretty good on the whole.) She and Dallin have races and she now zooms down the driveway too. The bigger bike, with the training wheels still attached, gets used whenever Audrey decides to switch. I don't think she can handle that one without the extra help simply because of the bike's larger size and weight. But I could be wrong. It's been proven over and over again that "if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." And that is particularly true in Audrey's case.
A cyber high-five for identifying the (really, too easy) movie quote.
9 comments:
High fives for the kids...and for me I might add for the Back to the Future quote! It is so like Audrey to teach herself to ride a bike! I bet it was so fun watching her riding around your street signing in sheer joy. Do you have it on tape?
I know you know this already but you better watch out for that Dallin...I don't think three year olds should be trying to ride standing on the seat already!
Wow! That's great.
Awesome job Audrey! You are amazing!!
Way to go Audrey!!! What an accomplishment. I agree with Shannon you better watch out for Dallin and his future "Dare Devil" tricks! =)
Way to go Audrey, I'll have to tell Nathan who is 8 that if Audrey can do it so can he : ). I know I shouldn't use the peer pressure, but I don't want him ending up like me at 34 still not knowing how to ride a bike...do you think they make adult size training wheels? LOL!
You not only have skills, you have MAD SKILLS. I hate garage sale, but also hate paying full price---oh well. Getting Cam to ride without training wheels is Chad's big goal for the spring. He tried in the fall, but it was a NO_GO.
Wish us luck!!!
High fives for Dallin & Audrey!
I just have to say how cute your kids are! And Audrey's eyes are amazing!!! I mean, really!
Love the bikes, and the garage selling finds. I haven't been for a while, but it can be quite addicting! Congrats to Audrey too!
Good job Audrey! It is such a big moment for a child and parent. Once the training wheels come off, we have noticed that we need to start riding bikes now to keep up with them.
Post a Comment