Monday, June 15, 2009

A Curse?

Do you remember in the movie Field of Dreams where Ray is teaching his daughter about Shoeless Joe Jackson and he tells her something like, "They said his glove is where triples go to die?"

Well, our house might be the place "where electronics go to die."

Being the one who is home all the time, I use most of the stuff in the house more than Melvin does. And I'm generally the one behind the camera taking the pictures. So when the camera, TV, DVD player....kick the bucket, I usually get blamed for it. (I only dropped the camera once. The other times, like the other electronic equipment, it quit of its own volition.) I still don't know what happened recently to our camera, but we've since come to find out that the memory card is not a legitimate product of the company whose name is on it. But that's beside the point.

About two weeks ago our computer crashed and we lost everything on it. Thankfully we only lost a couple months of pictures (everything up through February of this year had been backed up on our external hard drive). The rest of the stuff just had to be reloaded or downloaded again; time-consuming and occasionally frustrating, but not devastating. I can say with surety that I was NOT the last one to use the computer before it self-destructed. Melvin set it to run some programs and then restart itself. So he's the one to blame.

Well, on Friday, the brush roller on the vacuum cleaner stopped working. As I had been the last one to use the vacuum prior to that day, I was blamed for it. Melvin said that I might be banned from using any more appliances in our house. I've been thinking about that.

I might be okay with it.

If I'm banned from appliances, then I can't do the laundry. Or the dishes. Or cook any meals. Or vacuum. They would all become Melvin's territory. I could spend even more time with my nose in a book. Or outside watching the kids ride their bikes and play. Not a bad trade. Except for the meal part. Melvin's gone a lot. We might get hungry.

Maybe I'd better stock up on our dry cereal.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Cute post! It would be nice to spend more time with your nose in a book, huh? And you'd survive just fine on cold cereal... believe me, I've done it :)

Ruth said...

oh goodness! When it rains it pours. When do you find out the gender? Today? I can't wait to find out!

Annalisa and Jacob said...

I think I might have to try an electronics ban myself! It sounds like it could be a nice break.

The Hall Clan said...

You go girl...if Mel threatens it,,,take him up on it. I guarantee you he will be begging you to "get back to work"--even if things get broken.

George and Joanna said...

Hilarious post Carly!! It is late now, but funny hour is just getting started. Thanks for the laugh... I would love to be banned too!

The Hall's said...

I seriously think you should try the ban for a few days. Good luck with it! You're so funny.

The six of us! said...

Oh my. That is a lot of things to out at once. And the bit about the cold cereal, well you would survive as long as you have a good variety : )

Natalie said...

Funny stuff! I'm with Shannon give the ban a try!