Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Worth the Wait

There are few things I like better than to read a really good book. I first read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins at the beginning of this year and absolutely loved it. I admit that I have trouble putting down a lot of books, but this one was truly a page-turning, must-find-out-what-happens-next, read-until-2am book. The kind that you lay in bed wide awake thinking about. Even when reading it again for the second (or third) time, it was hard to stop. I love those kinds of books.



Then I had to wait. And wait and wait to find out what happens next. The sequel, Catching Fire, wasn't due to hit bookstore shelves until the beginning of September. I finally got my hands on a copy of it on Saturday (and finished it on Sunday). It was just as good as I had anticipated. And, may I say, what a relief! It's so disappointing to anxiously wait for a book only to find it not as captivating as you were expecting. That was definitely not the case here.



So, if you are looking for a good book or two, I highly recommend these two. A word to the wise, though. Clear your schedule for the day before picking them up. You won't be good for much else.


And now, I'm right back to where I was before. Waiting. And waiting and waiting. Somewhere book #3 is in the works. And I don't even know when it's coming out. Argh! But at least I can be secure in the knowledge that when it finally does become available, it will be worth the wait.

10 comments:

The Hall's said...

Couldn't agree more! I liked that I didn't have to wait very long to read Catching Fire since you only recently recommended the book to me. How am I ever going to wait for the third? So, which "team" are you on? Peeta or Gale?

Did you know that "Hunger Games" is scheduled to be made into a movie?

Debby said...

now thats cool. i didn't hear about the movie. that will be intense. and probably rated R...bummer!! glad you all liked it. my neighbors did the 2am thing and said i can't give them a book to read on a week night!

Sarah said...

Hahaha, I think I'm the only person in the world who owns them and has yet to read them. I know they're going to be fabulous, but I can't read for long stretches anymore, it makes me too sick. I don't want to start them and not be able to read them as fast as I want... so I'm hoping I feel better SOON!

Anonymous said...

These are on my to-read list, thanks for the recommendation!

Melvin and Carly said...

Shan - I honestly can't decide between Peeta and Gale. It just isn't so cut and dried as, say, Edward and Jacob. :) Have you been able to pick a side? Cool that it's being made into a movie. It would be great.

Mom - thanks again for the book! And don't you think that since the books' target demographic is teenagers that the movie would at least be PG-13 so teenagers could go? Let's hope!

Sarah - I am still amazed that you've had the book this long and haven't read it yet. If you weren't so far away and so nauseated right now, I would be pestering you all the time! Hurry up already! (By the way, I just finished The Actor and the Housewife too. Let's discuss!)

Brooks said...

Oh, I can't wait until I am able to read fun books again. I have read six Psychology books over the last couple of months and they're great and all, but I want some fun ones! We should start a book blog. Then we could get a group together to put on the books they've read and comments. Like a distant book club. Don't know...now I'm rambling. Having a baby soon? Take care.

Gabe & Emily said...

LOVED it! No dishes, no laundry, no dinner - a good book can seriously take over my whole world (just ask Gabe). I am anxiously awaiting my neighbor's finishing the 2nd one so I can borrow her copy - Emily

The Hall Clan said...

Good to know of a couple more books to pick up!!! I am pretty much done with my Dean Koontz/Odd Thomas phase (after 4 of them--I'm spent). I think I can fit a couple more books in before I have to crack down for Super Saturday preparations.

I'll let you know what I think.

K Western said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Now that I'm sitting down a lot nursing and rocking my baby, I need some good books to read.

Ruth said...

Thanks Carly!