I didn't do one last year, but I figure I'd better get it done this time.
We had a nice Christmas. Audrey had two weeks off from school; she spent a few days of that time with some of her cousins at Grandma's house. They went ice skating at Sea World, which made Audrey's day. She has been wanting to go ice skating for quite some time now. She and Dallin even pretend to ice skate down the hallway in their socks or on top of the roof pieces to Dallin's Lincoln Log set.
We spent an afternoon making treats to give to our neighbors. We made our usual Holiday Pretzel Treats because they are the easiest thing in the world to make. Even Sterling could help. Plus they are pretty yummy. The kids helped with other treats we made too. And we all had fun...even me! (I sometimes have trouble enjoying being in the kitchen with all of my "helpers.")
Christmas morning was nice too. It gets better every year as the shortlings get more excited about it. You all know it. Christmas with children is the best. The kids got exactly what they wanted: Audrey received a Barbie house (actually, I don't know if it truly is for a Barbie but that's what we're saying and don't tell Audrey if it's not!), and Dallin and Sterling received robots. They each got a few other things too, but those were the big items. Dallin's joy alone at seeing his robot walk and spin around made it completely worth the noise. Sterling was happy too, but he didn't shout "It's so cool!" and laugh like a maniac. I take that back. After hearing Dallin say it a few times, Sterling did start to say, "It's so cool!" It made us smile all day. Oh, poor Maren. She didn't get much for Christmas. Her siblings picked out a teething ring at the $1 store for her and it didn't even get wrapped. Thank goodness for grandparents and neighbors who sent over a couple of wrapped presents for our littlest one.
Every year our stake puts together a "Nativity Festival" for the community near the beginning of December. Choirs from local schools and organizations perform, there is a live nativity presented, and hundreds of nativity scenes are displayed on tables. It always turns out very nice and it's a good way to start the Christmas season. This year Melvin and I were asked to participate in the live nativity with Maren. We spent about 45 minutes one night dressed as Joseph and Mary, while Maren represented the baby Jesus. It was a pretty neat experience. Maren didn't get the memo about the whole "no crying he makes" business and spent nearly the entire time wailing. As I tried to calm her and yet stay "in character," I wondered at how overwhelmed Mary felt, being so young and giving birth in a stable to the Savior of the world. It's a good thing the musical selection during our time was Silent Night. The next night we took the other kids to see it and the song was Breath of Heaven. I started crying as soon as the girl started to sing. My tear ducts are overactive anyway. You add postpartum hormones and I'm a virtual fountain some days. Then add a good dose of Christmas and the Spirit... game over. So I was glad to not be up there that night.
Anyway, we had a great Christmas season and hope all of you did as well. Now I feel like I've done my duty and properly documented our holiday. It only took three days to do it, too! (Every time I move away from the computer, someone else gets on and starts playing games or watching football. There are four perpetrators, all in custody. No investigation is needed, but a computer solely for child use would help stop the crime spree!)
9 comments:
I tried those chocolate pretzel treats for the first time this year...they were pretty yummy!
I think your family is so cute! Glad you guys had a great Christmas, you make a great Mary and we love Mel's beard!
what a great post I'm so glad you guys had a fun holiday!
Thanks for the Mary and Joseph picture. You guys looked great! How many blue eyed men are there in Bethlehem? :)
Love the pictures of the kids...and DYING for more pictures of Maren!
I love these pics...I love reading about the kids, in all three blogs. I enjoy laughing WITH you guys and at the posts you make to each other!!
Glad you had a fun Christmas! yes, it is the BEST with kiddos.
I hear you about the computer thing--Chad is hoping to recover our computer enough to let it be the "kid computer".
How sweet to participate in the live nativity! Sounds like a great thing. I love reading your posts!
You are too funny! Loved the post! Nice dinosaur by the way on the one before. Miss you guys!
Jacob
What a fun time over the holidays. Great job at being Mary and Joseph. All three of you looked so great!
Post a Comment