Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kindergarten!


Audrey had her first day of kindergarten yesterday. She was a little apprehensive at first, hanging on to my leg and burying her face every time someone said anything to her, but by the time I left she was already warming up to it all.

I think she will really do great in school. Audrey's teacher has been at this school for 20 years and just might be a little abrupt with the children, but I think she'll be good for Audrey. I guess you have to start out from day 1 with consistency and boundaries, otherwise all of those 5-year-olds will take over! Hopefully Audrey will figure out that crying is not the way to deal with every situation. There were no tears from either of us yesterday (not surprising). I did get a hug, kiss, and an "I love you!" when it was time for me to leave, along with a cheerful wave and "Goodbye, Mom!" when I walked out the door. From her report after school, the next four hours went by just fine.

Audrey wanted me to let her walk in by herself this morning, but I insisted on her letting me go with her one more time. She has told me, in no uncertain terms, that she is capable of doing it all by herself tomorrow. That's my girl, always so independent.

I've been wondering how difficult it will be to get the four of us out of the house and to the school on time (school starts at 8:55 and, except for Sundays when church starts at 8:30, getting all of us ready and out of the house by 9:00 is a near-impossibility). Yesterday Audrey was so excited to go that she was dressed, had her hair combed, her teeth brushed, her backpack ready...all by 7:45. Then she asked me every five minutes "Can we go now?" or would say "Come on, Mom. Let's go. We're going to be late!" Today she came in my room at 6:30 and asked me to help her get ready for school. I did have to prod her a little more to get her shoes and socks on, but we were ready in plenty of time. I'm guessing that will change and that it will get harder to be ready to leave. Especially when the baby is born and I have one more body to get ready. But so far, the school thing is going pretty well. I'm sure it has helped that I've been getting myself up and ready earlier than usual. Don't know how long I'll be able to keep that up, either, but I'll be trying!

5 comments:

The Hall's said...

She looks so cute and so big. Goodness, how I love her beautiful blue eyes! Glad the first day of school went so well...may they all continue to go so well! :) Good chatting with ya today.

Love you Audrey!

Ruth said...

adorable.

Jamie and Family said...

She does look so cute! I think getting kids on time to school is one of the scariest parts of being a parent!

8:55 is nice. Lexi has to be to first grade by 7:50, a bit earlier than I'd like.

And I came over here to leave a special message for you. YOU HAVE 8:30 AM CHURCH!??? You should seriously get extra brownie points in heaven for that. I cannot imagine!!

Anonymous said...

I love how their backpacks are bigger than they are:)

Debby said...

Way to go Audrey. I hope your first week was fun and that school continues to interest you. Cute photo.