Thursday, August 13, 2009

The News

What? You thought that because I actually have news to post that I would be timely in doing so? Silly you.

Our biggest change: Melvin's new job. He's still working for the same company but is in an engineering position rather than a supervisor position. No more babysitting! The best part about it is that he changed from 2nd shift to 1st shift. So he now goes in to work at 6 a.m. and comes home by about 4 p.m. In the eight years we have been married, Mel has never worked a regular daytime shift. It's so nice! The kids are always so excited to see him when he gets home. And we can actually eat dinner together. (The downside to that is that now I actually have to plan and make dinner every day. No more pancakes for dinner at the last minute!)

Mel's new shift started last week so we've been through nearly two full weeks so far. I've been totally spoiled, too. He helps with bath and storytime (he did that before on the weekends of course, but now it's regular), I got to go to a movie all by myself last week and to Enrichment last night, the kids run to Daddy if they need something...it's been great. I finally feel like we can be a "normal" family. The dinner and bedtime hours have always been the worst time of the day for me, having to do everything all by myself. Now there's finally a reprieve.

Change #2: Melvin's last class. It's on Saturday. Then he'll officially have an MBA. So, not only will he be home at night, but he won't have homework to do either. I might actually get to spend time with my husband! Imagine that.

On the subject of higher education, I have to mention how proud I am of Melvin for completing a Master's degree. He has done such an excellent job of juggling work, school, church callings, family life, and whatever else came along. Time management is definitely one of his many skills! I know that many of you have gone, are going, or will be going through similar situations. Mel's circumstances have been a little different from those of his classmates out here. Some of the other students had children; none of them had three under the age of 4. (When he started, Audrey was 3, Dallin was 1, and Sterling was 1 day.) Mel also made a commitment to himself to not do schoolwork on Sundays, which he kept consistently, even though he had to be even more diligent in getting his work done in a timely manner. He had little sympathy for the non-married students in his class who had trouble getting their work turned in on time, especially since they had an extra day each week to get it done! (That's not to say that all non-married people have extra time on their hands. Heather, you have WAY too much on your plate. Stop volunteering for everything!) Anyway, I'm really proud of Melvin for the way he handled all of it.

Change #3: Audrey starts kindergarten. On Monday. It's "extended day" so she'll be gone for 5 hours each weekday. I know that with the first child going off to school, moms are supposed to be all weepy and "there goes my baby" sort of thing. I hope no one thinks less of me because I am so very excited for it! There is a small part of me that realizes how big Audrey is getting and how fast it will all go and how it's a little sad, but mostly I'm just happy. She's ready for kindergarten and I'm ready for a break. And maybe now she'll like me when she comes home because we haven't been together and grating on each other all day long.

So, the times they are a-changin' here at our house. All really good things for our family. And all with really good timing. We have been and continue to be so blessed.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

All good news! A big congrats to Mel!! It's hard to juggle school and family (I can't imagine doing it with 3 kids!!) Way to go!

And Mable, if you're reading this, Carly's right -- you've got too much on your plate :)

Debby said...

I know I've said it before but just wanted to say congratulations to both of you for the hard work over the last few years. It takes two to make this work and you both have done an amazing job getting to this point. Way to go Mel....and Carly.

Amy said...

Congratulations, how exciting!! Enjoy all the wonderful things that come with being done with school (I can't wait for that day). I understand about the helping put the kids to bed thing (and I only have one) :) You guys are amazing!

Natalie said...

Congratulations to Mel and to your family!

The Hall's said...

Enjoy the family time! Such WONDERFUL news about Mel's job. I've thought about it every day since you've told me. What absolutely perfect timing for it all. Congrats to all of you for making it through such a challenging time in life.

LOVE YOU ALL!

Ruth said...

Way to go! You guys are great.

The Hall Clan said...

First of all---there is nothing wrong with STILL doing pancakes for dinner at the last minute!!! It is wonderful having nightime help--I've always said 3-5 pm feels like an eternity,,,wow, that would be worse if it was more like 3-8 pm. Use him and abuse him in the evenings!!
Cameron goes to kindergarten as well---no tear here either!!! And there was joy and rejoicing!!!

George and Joanna said...

Congrats you guys! That is wonderful news.

Beth said...

Wow! congratulations on all your acomplishments. You need some sort of degree or reward for surviving too.

The six of us! said...

You are very blessed! Those are some great changes. I'm glad Audrey started school just so I can see you more : D. As far as the last minute pancakes go, I still do those...hee hee.